Monday, September 15, 2008

The mix.

Every had one of those days where you just can't seem to get your stuff right?

Today was odd. I suppose that is a proper and fitting word. I can't think of one to describe it differently or better. That is to say, it was not a good day. That is to say, it was not a bad day.

I think I left my iPod in the Armory on campus last night when I left practice with the worship team. That was unfortunate. I did not discover it was missing until I woke up this morning.
(If I have the time in the morning, I usually pop in the ear buds to let a song wake me up in a calmer fashion than my alarm clock. It's weird, I know... wake up just to lounge in bed to wake up differently. But that's what I do. Music does that to me, and it has become habit.)
So when I went to look for 'Steve,' he was missing. And thus, my day began. As soon as I finished my bowl of Rice Krispies, I mounted my bike and pounded the pavement to campus. En route, I only had my mind on getting there as fast as I could and retrieve my music, whereas it should have been focused on paying attention to the road. Without going into too much embarrassing detail, I nearly rammed right into a guy hobbling across the road on a broken foot. I braked just in time and one of my flip flops (which is always a poor choice while biking) flew off into the road. I turned to extreme apologetic measures, gathered my wayward shoe, and, red faced, pedaled off to the Armory.

(Even amidst unfortunate situations, there is always hope.)

I finally got there around 11am. A class was in the room we were practicing in last night so I waited around for a good time to interrupt.

Meanwhile, as I was sitting on a very uncomfortable bench reading the school paper, I noticed a lady using the vending machine. She inserted her money and pushed the buttons. Nothing. She gave a "humph," and put more money in. Again, nothing. A disgruntled and frustrated sigh, purposefully loud.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her looking my direction. I asked her if she needed help. I walked up and tried giving the machine a shake. Nothing. I offered her a dollar, and she accepted. She put it in, hit the same miscalculated buttons. Nothing. Three prepackaged danishes were backed up by that tight little black coil.
All the machine shaking and general ruckus was causing quite a stir in the hallway, and another guy stepped up. We shook the machine together... in unison... back and forth... forcefully. Nothing. When it looked like all hope was lost, a very large guy came up, shook it with one hand, and four snacks fell down to the slot. He looked up and said, "Looks like football is finally paying off." The lady, being very grateful for all the assistance, gave each one of us one of the treats.

(Even amidst unfortunate situations, there is always hope.)

I finally got up the nerve to knock and enter the classroom where I left my iPod. The class and professor looked up at me as I awkwardly asked, "May I interrupt for a second?"
"I think you just did," came the professor's response. Cold.
As I explained my situation, the professor and class grew more courteous and understanding. I think I put on my best puppy dog eyes to gain sympathy points. The bad news was that no one had seen Steve. The good news was that they were the first and only class in there up to that point today, meaning only they or the facilities crew were in there at all.
They directed me to the lost and found. That did not produce any results either. But I got a number to call for the building and facilities management, who takes care of the rooms being clean and orderly. I left a nice-sounding lady a message of despair. I hope they get back to me promptly tomorrow morning.

All in all, I can hope for either of two outcomes.
1.) I get Steve back safe and sound.

2.) Someone discovers a loving Savior in Jesus through much of the music on there.

I finally got to work, just in time (read: ridiculously close to being late to opening up the shop). My boss understood what I was up to, and all was well. A guy and gal came in to return 5 four-person tents. We went to the back room to set them all up so I could check to make sure they were clean, undamaged, and complete.
Usually, with such a large rental, the customer is very annoyed by this process of setting up tents that they are returning to us, wasting their valuable time. It can feel rather tedious and unnecessary. However, these two customers were the most courteous people, very helpful throughout the whole process. It was such a blessing. Also, midway through the setup, a really good friend of mine popped in the store to surprise me with a mix CD, which I am listening to right now. Something so simple meant a lot on what felt like such an upside-down day to me.

So as you can see, I do not know where this day falls on the spectrum.
Why not just let it be what it is and praise God.

(Even amidst unfortunate situations, there is always hope.)

No comments: